“Spiritual energy is the one thing that never changes. While your brain and other organs evolve and age, and while what your brain produces—thought, feeling, sensory experience—is always ebbing and flowing, the formless spiritual energy that powers and creates all things is constant and unwavering.” ~Dr. Amy Johnson
This past Friday I reached a milestone in my journey to becoming a life coach with the completion of my final phone call with Dr. Amy Johnson, the amazing Master Life Coach I gained educational grounding from to understand how mindful life coaching works. Throughout the learning process, many lessons resonated with my own “inner knowing,” yet I had several “ah-ha’s” I wanted to share to help you understand more about life coaching and how it may be able to help you live your best life.
- First, Life Coaching has changed a lot since it was first introduced with the Life Wheel tool (below) in the late 1990s. The typical practice included coaches sharing this wheel with their clients to help them identify which areas of their life they had the least satisfaction with. From there coaches would work to understand why their client was unhappy with this segment of life, what they needed to become happier in that section and then what SMART (specific, measure-able, achievable, resources and time-bound) goals they could set to close the gap. The coach would then work with the client to brainstorm solutions to close this gap and hold their clients accountable along the way to reaching their goal.
- Second, although there is merit to the previous approach, it fails to take into consideration the ultimate reality we all live in, an “inside-out” world. Simply put, this means that we all live in realities of our own making, feeling our thinking and not our circumstances. Living a satisfied life is driven by living the life you really DESIRE to experience. A life coach can help you understand WHY you feel a lack of fulfillment and what BELIEFS may be inhibiting you from obtaining greater life satisfaction. Yes, life has its circumstances that may present barriers, but the pain we hold onto is from our own making. We have the power to go beyond thoughts, connecting to our natural health, which a life coach can bridge you to.
- Third, guidance can only enter our lives when we are calm and confident that the universe will provide what we need. However, our brain often takes ownership of finding the resolution to our problems before we even have a chance to connect to guidance. It buzzes as quickly as it can, leading to confusion, exhaustion and often discontent. Learning how to work with our minds in a new way is facilitated with a life coach who has the ability to “show up dumb.” This means that they listen to their client without judgment, detaching from their personal history and the client’s.
- Fourth, your answers will not come from a success formula or “how to” list. Rather the vision of what you desire in your heart will become clearer as you work with your coach to uncover the layers of thought blocking your internal wisdom, revealing what the best next steps are. There is no right or wrong step, only our judgment of them. Each step will yield a feeling, what you are seeking are more positive feelings. This is different than working toward a more “positive attitude.” You can not necessarily change your thoughts about something; rather you will know they have changed once you consistently feel better.
- Lastly, as my husband’s favorite quote goes “those who teach are the ones who need to learn the lesson the most,” ~Wayne Dyer. Grounding myself in the “inside-out” coaching practice has made a huge impact on my life already. I finally realized I don’t have to take my thoughts so seriously. Rather I see them for what they are, my little mind buzzing to keep me out of pain’s way. My mind has been surprisingly quiet since I started identifying all its attempts to avoid pain. I can listen better, remember more and have been able to come to a major decision on an issue I’ve been tangling with for months…more to come on that later.
Now that I have completed the Dr. Amy Johnson’s coaching certification; I would like to help you use the inside-out grounding principles to change your life. Connect if you are interested in living a life full of satisfaction, aligned to your truest desires! Remember that at each moment you have the potential to create a life you love.